Due Diligence in the Garment and Footwear Sector
HUMAN RIGHTS DUE DILIGENCE (HRDD)
Latest with the entry into force of the Supply Chain Due Diligence Act (LkSG) and the proposal to amend the EU Regulation (publication of the draft Due Diligence Directive for companies on 23 February 2022), the process-based due diligence of companies throughout Europe is more topical than ever. Based on the internationally agreed UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (2011), human rights due diligence applies to all companies of all sizes and in all situations. It is an international standard for expected business conduct.
Policy commitment to respect Human Rights
Ongoing processes of Due Diligence Human Rights Impact Assessment
Processes for remediation of business-related Human Rights harms
As soon as you start with the implementation processes of your due diligence some questions wil probably arise:
- What does the implementation mean in practice?
- How to communicate with suppliers and gather the data?
- How to identify 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers and create supply chain transparency?
- What are the reporting requirements?
The successful implementation of human rights due diligence in practice and the methods used, provide guidance and show how this can be successfully implemented in individual business models and sectors.
GSM has more than 20 years of practical experience in global value chains, project management, sector mapping, data collection in supply chains and impact analysis. We are happy to support you in your due diligence activities.
ASSESSING HUMAN RIGHTS RISKS
- Supply chain mapping
- Data analysis and classification of risks
- Identify significance and sufficiency
- Training of employees and suppliers
- Determination of responsibilities
INTEGRATE AND ACT TO THE FINDINGS
- Define the scope and scale of due diligence
- Define remedial measures
- Ensure organisational capacity
- Enable access for affected persons
- Involving the rights holders and stakeholders concerned
- Assembling a support team
- Systematic grievance and remediation mechanisms
- Measuring impact
COMMUNICATE AND REPORT
- public and responsible
- sufficient and reliable information
individuelle Beratung und Schulung zum LkSG
UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
OECD (2018), OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Business Conduct
Proposal on Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence and amending Directive (EU) 2019/1937